Thursday, November 12, 2020

WATER TO WINE

I have, of course, always known that Jesus was special. I was convinced by the angel who appeared to me so long ago telling me he would be called the Son of God. But that is difficult to think about in the everyday passage of life. I had almost forgotten that he had a special calling when he put James and Joseph in charge of their father's carpentry business and began to teach.

Salome, the daughter of Leah, my closest friend, was married recently. Everyone we knew was invited to the wedding. I'm afraid they overdid it somewhat. Leah asked me to invite our whole family including my grandchildren. That includes two children who have still not been weaned. Simon is not yet married. Jesus had begun gathering disciples around him. Leah said she wanted him to bring them too. Several of them brought their families. The synagogue was stuffed to the gills. They were no better off than anyone else in our little town. And I wondered if Leah’s husband Isaiah could afford to buy everything for the feast. He was never very wise about such things. But many of our closest friends helped with food. The father of Benjamin who was marrying Salome, roasted a goat. But there was no way they could afford wine for everyone who would come. Isaiah assured Leah that he had enough from last year's grapes. The wine was too sour, even after being watered down. Isaiah was evidently not not able to mix it with wine from a better vineyard.

The feast was well underway when Leah came out to where I was working in the kitchen in tears. 

“Mary, Mary, what will we do? We are completely out of wine! We have asked Isaiah's cousin who is a magistrate from Capurniam to be the master of the feast. Isaiah will be ashamed to have to tell him. Salome will never be able to live it down if we have to send everyone home early.”

Of course there was nothing to be done. But then I thought of Jesus. I had never seen him perform a single miracle. I had asked him if he were going to do such things. He said it was not yet time. I thought the need of close friends made this a good time to start. I went and found him. I knew he would be aware of the problem. He always seemed to know things like this.

I said, “They have no more wine.”

He answered roughly. “What does this have to do with me? I have told you, Woman, my time has not yet come.” I didn't know what he would do, but he was our only hope. I turned to the servants who had gathered around us in anticipation. 

“Do whatever he tells you to do.”

There were six stone jars there for the rites of purification. Each held 20 or 30 gallons. He told the servants to fill the jars with water. The well was nearby, and it didn't take them long to fill them to their brims.

Then he said, “Draw out a cup and take it to the master of the feast.” The servants looked doubtfully, but did what he said. They carried the cup to the master of the wedding. He took it and tasted it. Then he frowned. Benjamin and Salome were watching nervously with Leah standing behind them. They cringed when he stood.

He spoke to Benjamin. “What have you done here? Most people serve the good wine first. And when people have drunk freely, they serve the lesser wine. But you have saved the best wine until now!”

The musicians began to play again. Salome and Benjamin embraced one another in relief. Most of the wedding guests had no idea of what had happened. At first I think only the servants who had drawn the water knew. Among those of us who did know, only his disciples and I had any notion of what Jesus began at this wedding feast.


This story is based on John 2:1-11

http://thinkinginthespirit.blogspot.com/

http://theanchorofthesoul.blogspot.com/

http://watchinginprayer.blogspot.com/

http://writingprayerfully.blogspot.com/


Website

http://daveswatch.com/


YouTube

https://goo.gl/PyzU

Amazon Author's Page

https://www.amazon.com/David-Young/e/B008C7VLAQ/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1


No comments:

Post a Comment